Friday, May 14, 2010

T minus 2 days to Haiti

I leave for Haiti in 2 days. I planned on writing all about the build up to this trip, but I seem to have spent my time working instead, sorry.

I am going to Haiti to provide medical relief with a program coordinated out of the University of Miami (blasphemy to us Domers, but still..) called Project Medishare. They are running a Mash style hospital that is on the airport grounds. We will all be staying in a large tent in the compound. We will work at least 12 hour shifts caring for whoever is comes. I’ll be functioning as a neonatal/ pediatric intensivist. I’m a little afraid of the pediatric part, since I haven’t done that in awhile, but it will be fine and there are some resources.

I’m so proud of the number of people from my hospital who are working with this endeavor. The team from my hospital includes a pediatric surgeon, anesthesiologist, peds resident, several nurses and myself. We will be joined by groups from other hospitals. I have no good idea of what I’m getting myself into, but I’ll do my best. That is all I can do.

No comments: