Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The World According to Dr. Lisa

Several of my friends are shocked that I'd post my age on the internet, but age is really a figment of time and place, right?  Not a question of yourself.  I mean if I lived on Mars, I'd be younger as defined by the number of times my home planet orbitted the sun, but still the same time would have elapsed.  Or is that a little existential.  Seriously, though, I have now been 39 for a week, and I'm good with it.  I know who I am.  I have been on the journey that is my life with all of its ups and downs and I am the sum total of that journey. Of course there are things I wished would have happened by now, but I can only worry about what I can control.  My grandpa, who was a wise man, had a motto "never begrudge getting older, it is a privilege denied to many."  There is a lot of truth to that.  So, while yes, I'd love to have fewer lines on my face and not be fighting gravity.  (At least people no longer ask if I am old enough to be their child's doctor.) I see no point in lying and saying that I'm younger or trying to hide my age.   I can't imagine being 30 again, that wasn't such a great year.  So far life at 39 seems pretty great, and 38 was out of this park.  So, if things keep getting better, no clue what could happen next..  I might just run the world by the time I'm 40, and let me tell you, the world according to Lisa would be pretty cool.  So, I embrace my age and I'm going with it.

3 comments:

the slackmistress said...

YES! What you said.

Jack Steiner said...

the world according to Lisa would be pretty cool.

Not according to my son. He says that a world run by girls would be a nightmare.

Or is that me who said it. ;)

Seriously, I know too many people who have died young. Thirty-nine is no big deal.

Kathleen said...

I believe each year gets better. Honestly the start of 50 for me has really been the best yet. I can hardly wait to see what the rest of the decade ahead does and if that includes you running the world. Awesome!